Famous people with your birthday
* Anthony Hopkins, actor
* Donna Summer, singer
* Gong Li, actress
* Henri Matisse, painter
* John Denver, singer and songwriter
* Odetta, singer
* Val Kilmer, actor
This day in history
* 1695 - A window tax is imposed in England, causing many shopkeepers to brick up their windows to avoid the tax.
* 1831 - Gramercy Park is deeded to New York City.
* 1891 - A new immigration depot was opened on Ellis Island, New York.
* 1904 - The first New Year's Eve celebration is held in Times Square, then known as Longacre Square, in New York, New York.
* 1983 - The AT&T Bell System is broken up by the United States Government.
* 1994 - This date is skipped altogether in Kiribati as the Phoenix Islands and Line Islands change time zones from UTC-11 to UTC+13 and UTC-10 to UTC+14, respectively.
Holidays and interesting facts
* New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
Make the day meaningful (Brought to you by So what can I do?)
* Host a socially-responsible celebration.